I LOVE chicken livers. To be honest, I think its more the Peri Peri sauce than the actual livers that I am in love with and it was the sauce that got me hooked on them 2 years ago. A couple of months ago I tried out a creamy version of Peri Peri Chicken Livers at a restaurant and it was delicious. So naturally I tried to recreate it at home and the result was the most delicious Creamy Peri Peri Chicken Livers ever!!!
250g Cleaned Chicken Livers (Woolworth's is the best)
2 tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
1 tsp Paprika
1 tsp Dried Crushed Garlic
2 tbsp Butter
1 tbsp Olive Oil
1 Onion, finely chopped
2 tsp Fresh Garlic, Finely Chopped
1 tsp Dried Chili Flakes
1 Cup Dry White Wine
410g Tin of Chopped Tomatoes / Tomato Puree (Depending on whether you like the sauce smooth or chunky)
2 tbsp Tomato Paste
4 Dried Bay Leaves
1 tbsp Chili / Peri Peri Sauce (Any brand will do but Nandoe's Peri Peri is best)
1) Mix the Worcestershire sauce, dried garlic and paprika. Spread over the livers and leave to marinade.
2) In a medium sized pot heat oil and fry the onion, garlic and chili flakes on medium heat until the onion is soft.
3) Add half the dry white wine and leave it to boil until the wine has reduced by half.
4) Add the tinned tomatoes, the tomato paste and the bay leaves and bring to the boil.
5) Add the rest of the wine, close the pot, reduce the heat and allow to simmer for 30minutes.
6) Turn off the heat. Add salt, chili sauce and cream.
7) Heat a frying pan on medium heat. Melt the butter and when it is hot and bubbling add the livers.
8) Fry for 2 minutes on each side and turn down the heat to allow them to cook through
9) Tip the livers into the sauce.
10) Serve with crusty rolls or toasted pita.